Completely remove all printer drivers Win XP and 7
Check in Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs; if there is an entry relating to one of the printers, select it, then click Change/Remove. Follow the dialog and "uninstall all" or "remove all" as appropriate. Some "printer software" have programs that show up here and it will be a good idea to remove those before going any further.
If the Print Spooler service is operational:
- Open the Printers (Printers and Faxes on Windows XP) folder
- delete all of the printers
- click File, Server Properties
- select the Drivers tab
- for each entry:
- select the entry
- click Remove
- open regedit (e.g. click Start, key regedit and press Enter)
- navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers under this key, there will be the keys Version-2 and Version-3 (one or the other of these may be absent - not a problem) the sub-keys under these contain the printer driver configuration information delete all the sub-keys inside Version-2 and Version-3, but not these keys themselves
- open a Command Prompt window
- key the commands
net stop spooler
net start spooler
- open Windows Explorer & navigate to %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\ and delete any files there. By default, this is where the print spooler stores print files.
- navigate to %systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 (%systemroot% is usually Windows, but it might be winnt or something else; this is set when the OS is installed).
- inside w32x86, there will be folders with the names 2 and 3 (one or more of these may be absent - not a problem)
delete all of the files and sub-folders in each of the 2 and 3 folders, but not the folders themselves
inside w32x86, there may be other folders with names starting with "hewlett_packard", "hphp" or something else; delete these folders also
- restart the print spooler (see steps 8 and 9 above).